Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Girls' Night Out…Redefined!

That's what we're calling it. Sure there will be the usual "girl" things like fashions and makeup and cool stuff to buy. But salsa dancing? Belly dancing?! And how about learning to make the perfect Kir Royale cocktail? (Not sure what that is, but I know it has champagne in it and I intend to learn about it.) This all sounds a bit indulgent, especially for these days, but it truly is for a very good cause. The beneficiaries of the March 6 event will be the women who receive scholarships for post-secondary education from the Business Women's Network of Howard County, MD.

The scholarship purpose is what got me involved in helping with the fundraiser. Now more than ever, women need help to improve their education and skill, no matter where they are in life. What I especially like about the BWN scholarship is that it's open to women who have been out of school for years as well as those just graduating high school. I love hearing the stories of women who have taken it upon themselves to get more education even if they are single moms and working either full- or part-time. You know they will be the ones who not only reach their educational goals, but also the ones who will then give back to their community.

So here I am putting together a Silloway Press tote bag full of books and chocolate, all of which I'd like to have for myself, to donate as a raffle prize. It's just one of more than a dozen great donated gifts that will be on display and waiting for their winners. (Creating the description cards for the display of raffle gifts is also giving me good experience with my new software nemesis, InDesign, so that's a nice side benefit.)

For further diversion there will be several vendors with wares to tempt, including Crystal's Jewelry – hand crafted with fine silver and beads by a remarkable young woman – and Erika's Ceramics, hand made and original designs. I expect that between these two and the other fine vendors, I'll be leaving the event with a lighter wallet and some wonderful treasures.

You're wondering why I haven't stressed when and where? OK, here it is:

Friday, March 6, 2009 - 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Student Services Building, Howard Community College in Columbia, MD

Why not keep it simple and go to the BWN site right now and register? For only $45 you get heavy hors d'oeuvres, two glasses of wine, that Kir Royale, an opportunity to win some great gifts, door prizes, and plenty of fun and networking. And remember, it's for a great cause – education for women.

See you there!

No comments: